The BeOSJournal. Forum Index The BeOSJournal.
Discussing the news of the BeOS Community.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OBFS reaches Beta and "We Want YOU!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaaT
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:15 am   Post subject: OBFS reaches Beta and "We Want YOU!" Reply with quote   Next

Beta Stage it is. The OpenBeOS BFS team is the second team to reach beta stage in their quest for R1.

OBFS is complete, feature wise, and now it just needs a LOT of testing and debugging. Hence the "we want you!" bit i wrote in the header, don't want you to get any weird ideas...

From the OpenBeOS site (if you ask me the url i'll wack you over the head) you can see what they would like YOU to do. Yes you, the user, the "joe user", you don't have to be a coder to help you know, and not just with OBFS, though it's about it we're talking about right now. So get in gear and start testing, stressing and just giving it a hard time, and report back to the devs.

Detailed instructions can be found here: [url]http://www.bug-br.org.br/openbfs/index.phtml?section=testing[/url]

Great work everyone, we all look forward to more updates like this one.
bbjimmy
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

UPDATE 2: Just a quick mention of the command you must use to get the OBFS source:
cvs -z3 -d:pserver::/cvsroot/open-beos co BeFS
Good luck and start testing.

This builds an old obfs not the one that needs to be tested. I have yet to figure out how to get the bfs from the current directory. If they want help testing, they should post the binary file. icon_eek.gif
misza
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:56 am   Post subject: Naive Reply with quote  Previous Next

The OpenBFS crew are so naive in thinking that they're going to get people testing fine with these initial paltry instructions to download and compile it. The current source is in current/src/add-ons/kernel/file_systems/bfs which they should have mentioned. I wrote a little script that will grab the OpenBeOS source tree & compile obfs.

#!/bin/sh

cvs -z3 -d:pserver::/cvsroot/open-beos co current
cd current
cd src/tools/jam
make
cp bin.beosx86/jam ~/config/bin
cp bin.beosx86/mkjambase ~/config/bin
cd ../../../
./configure
cd src/add-ons/kernel/file_systems/bfs
jam
cp ../../../../../distro/x86.R1/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/file_systems/bfs/obfs ~/config/add-ons/kernel/file_systems/

maybe that will help someone. But anyhow, there's a binary on there page now (afaik).

BeOS!
The SMP OS
pasha
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:51 am   Post subject: since.. Reply with quote  Previous Next

my U2W SCSI System Disk went to Nirvana after testing obfs, I hardly will test it until a release is out. Sorry folks.
Think they'va got to do some homework....
Jace
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:01 am   Post subject: Yikes Reply with quote  Previous Next

Thanks for the warning Pasha. I have SCSI U2W too.
pasha
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous 

No matter, Jace.
Hope they will fix it soon....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum