Navigation Menu.
The BeOSJournal. Reporting the news of the BeOS Community.
  Discussing the news of the BeOS Community.
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    Site Statistics.Statistics    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin

I want to get beos (duh)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> BeOS Main Printable version
 View previous topic  BeOS networking slow? Post :: Post Japanese BeOS apps  View next topic  
Thing
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: I want to get beos (duh) Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did already read the topic "Best BeOs" icon_wink.gif

I only have the developer edition 1.0 on cd... it is outdated and maybe theres a better version\type.

I heard something about "zeta" what is it ? is it free ?

A simple question... i want to get beos, of course the best icon_wink.gif but theres one thing that i really need

FLOPPY BOOT! i dont want any boot loader or the install messing up with it!!! please, i really want to avoid this! i want floppy boot like qnx or linux, set the floppy boot in the setup, i just dont want the setup to change or mess up with boot options, i have something like 4 os's.
jefro
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The only choices are Dano/Bone and the various versions of PE/Pro. All the PE/developer/max editions are acutally the same only the drivers and patches make it somewhat better for users with newer hardware. I love my Dano but it is one of the few items that I don't own legally like.
View users profile Send private message
Thing
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: I need more replays please Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is this what you are talking about ?http://www.markround.com/beos/unofficial.html

DONT FORGET!!! I NEED A BEOS THAT DOESNT CHANGE MY BOOT OPTIONS, I NEED FLOOPY BOOT!!! please confirm this, i want the best beos that can boot with a floppy AND THAT DOES NOT CHANGE THE BOOT OPTIONS EVEN IN THE SETUP

Please can anyone help me choosing the best beos.

Thanks icon_smile.gif
theelf
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When installing BeOS it will not install bootman (Be bootloader) unless you choose to do so but, it will present you with that option. You can boot BeOS several ways: with bootman, boot from a floppy or a BeOS bootable CD, lilo if you have Linux installed or you can use one of several other bootloaders. Personally I like and use xosl.
Thing
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: I dont want the setup to change my boot settings! Reply to topic Reply with quote

The thing is that i dont want to use a boot loader

I will have:

Windows xp
Qnx
Beos
Linux

Windows xp boots up normaly, if i want to boot to qnx or linux i use the boot disk, that makes it simple icon_smile.gif and i wont have trouble, thats why i want also to get a beos with floopy boot, when i installed the beosonline.de 1.0 i didnt get that option, or i didnt know how to do it...

Please dudes dont tell me that using a bootloader is simple bla bla bla, i just need to know wich beos i should get and how to boot it with a floopy

Manu thanks icon_smile.gif
jefro
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I didn't know beosonline Dev edition forced a bootman on you. I suggest that you get ranish partition manager and make one or two backups of the MBR and if it does get trashed then you can just go back. The bootdisk is good and if you make a bootable CD it really boots fast. In beos it should have asked your to make a backup of the MBR but I have not seen the new distros.
Thing
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: No floopy boot ? :( Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dude, i dont want anything about booting to be changed!!! sorry... i know im being lame but im really bad with this boot things

Can i boot with the cd ? cool icon_smile.gif anyway a floopy boot would be much better.

What beos should i get ?
Thing
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:01 am    Post subject: :( Reply to topic Reply with quote

I still need help
jefro
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't say for sure but usually the MBR is the master boot region. The bios looks to a special area on media for instructions. If you want to BE SURE that nothing changes then you need to understand how to save what you have and understand how to replace it in case the worst happens. It would be foolish of me to tell you a for sure answer. Bad sh#t happens to the best of people sometimes and that is why I say make a back up or two just in case. There is no for sure answer.
As I said before I never heard that beos forced it's own bootloader (located in the MBR) on any system. I have only seen it ask and also ask if you wish to make a back up.
Sorry this is a long answer.

I agree that a bootfloppy is the way I boot into beos. I suggest that you get the Personal Edition from Bebits.com and install it. It has an install shield program that should help to undo it. Then you can always replace the image.be file with the Max or Dev file and run it on a virtial file system in a Fat formatted drive or Ext2 formatted drive.
Thing
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:38 pm    Post subject: I dont want to mess with mbr Reply to topic Reply with quote

Huh personal edition... that looks bad hehe, does it have option to make floopy boot ?

What about zeta... maybe i should wait to get that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> BeOS Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Email to a Friend.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2