Navigation Menu.
The BeOSJournal. Reporting the news of the BeOS Community.
  Discussing the news of the BeOS Community.
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    Site Statistics.Statistics    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin

Japanese BeOS apps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> BeOS Main Printable version
 View previous topic  I want to get beos (duh) Post :: Post BeOS on PowerMac G3  View next topic  
bugyugo
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Japanese BeOS apps Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember that there was article on BeNews about BeOS in Japan, especialy about apps that never made to bebits.
So, I was doing some surfing, and found some interesting sites.
I found what it looks like neat app, but it's source only and it can't be compiled.
Anyone willing to look at it's source?
It's called "Date", and it can be found here:
http://www.duelists.org/~ivy/be_aware/en/apps.html

Here is screenshot:
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
misza
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got it to compile, it was easy icon_biggrin.gif
Just adding #include to the includes (at the top) of DateView.cpp. Then recompile it. Should work fine on R5. I also suggest using DCApplet instead icon_smile.gif

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~brentmor/

BeOS!
The SMP OS
View users profile Send private message
aphex
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Japanese software Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is a whole bunch of sites with non-bebits software found on be-in.org.
Use babelfish to translate icon_smile.gif icon_idea.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email
phooey
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow! It's like finding a whole lost treasure of BeOS apps. Why do I get the feeling that BeOS is more popular in Asia than it is in Europe and North America?

Hey misza, nice Open BeOS logo. I like the font.

phooey

Think you have a fast computer? Then put it to the test at http://www.teambeos.com
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address
aphex
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The BeOS market in asia is huge! Trust me. It's Bigger than you ever think, especially in Japan. However, Japan was and still is kind of closed to the western world in some views. There are some commerical applications for beos from Japan wich most people never heard of outside of Japan.

/aphex

ps.

post any nice discoveries here! icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email
bugyugo
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I found some nice apps, like 2 mail clients that I've never heard of before. One is called AlphaMail, other is East. Both are buggy, one is in Japanese only icon_smile.gif But, interesting stuff.
Yes, it's like a gold mine. Unfortunately, BeNews is gone, they had great article about BeOS in Japan.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
theelf
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The 1st link is a Russian ftp site with a lot of BeOS software.

ftp://210.83.140.149:900/

I got the link to it from this Chinese BeOS forum:

http://wellos.51.net/HanQS/be/

You will need a translator for the Chinese site:

http://babel.altavista.com/tr
h_ank
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like DCapplet, but that calendar in Date is really nice.
koki
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Potential market in Japan Reply to topic Reply with quote

I do not know in the rest of Asia, but Japan was a huge potential market for BeOS. Unfortunately, a lot of the developers have stopped working on their BeOS projects for obvious reasons. It looks like there is little going on right now when it comes to BeOS development in Japan.

The release of Zeta may change this and revive some of the staunch support that the system had in Japan not too long ago. Hopefully...

Koki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> BeOS Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Email to a Friend.

Page 1 of 1