Navigation Menu.
The BeOSJournal. Reporting the news of the BeOS Community.
  Discussing the news of the BeOS Community.
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    Site Statistics.Statistics    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

FTP under BeOS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

::     

Do you think it's about time BeOS gets a great and vivid FTP application?
Yes / Aye
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
Nah / Ney
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

Eddyspeeder
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: FTP under BeOS Reply to topic Reply with quote

BeOS had NetPenguin. Only ever since mid-2000 that project has been quite dead.

BeOS had FTPit!, a commercial app, but it never really took off.

BeOS had... uhhh... don't you think it's about time BeOS gets a new FTP application which is comparable to a decent full-featured application like available on the Windows- and Mac-platform. A living FTP project, that is?

Eddy Groen
http://www.skycycleonline.com/
clasqm
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: FTP under BeOS Reply to topic Reply with quote

Eddyspeeder wrote:
BeOS had... uhhh... don't you think it's about time BeOS gets a new FTP application which is comparable to a decent full-featured application like available on the Windows- and Mac-platform. A living FTP project, that is?

I voted "yes". Far be it from me to discourage anyone from working on a BeOS app. (You forgot to mention i.FTP though )

But NetPenguin still works perfectly. It doesn't look like FTP is an evolving standard where the developers constantly have to keep up with the latest developments.

So, what do you have in mind?
Assimil8or
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think BeOS doesn't need a FTP client, but some filesystem-driver addon which can mount a FTP-Server to the desktop. This way one could move files in the Tracker from one window to another without any pain =)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
h_ank
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think that NetPenguin and Get-It work fine, but they each have issues which could be addressed. It would be nice to see some more work done with these existing projects, but they get the job done even with their quirks.
Chinasaur
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What doesn't NetPenguin, Get-It or HotFTP do that you need?

They work fine for me. icon_question.gif
capoccia
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: what's wrong with cli? Reply to topic Reply with quote

i always just use ftp from the terminal. works good enough for me.
jeanmarc
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: SCP Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think BeOS need a SSH/ftp client like WinSCP..
Netpenguin is nice to me though.. icon_wink.gif
Diablo
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Assimil8or wrote:
I think BeOS doesn't need a FTP client, but some filesystem-driver addon which can mount a FTP-Server to the desktop. This way one could move files in the Tracker from one window to another without any pain =)

I agree with you, this kind of addon would be great. icon_smile.gif
Deej
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The file system add-on would be sooo cool! Someone do that!!!

You could add an "interface" application that works/looks/acts like a NetPenguin like client to that - but being able to use the tracker and drag and drop from the desktop would rule! icon_smile.gif

This comes from someone that does use FTP via NetPenguin on a very regular basis. icon_smile.gif

Deej
sikosis
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

NetPenguin has a bug - it won't let you have passwords that have special characters ... like /

I'm using Get-It now ... though it has a few issues, like when you connection times out (if you're doing web developing - you work in your editor, then upload, check it out, work in your editor, etc) then it pops up 4 error messages saying it can't connect.

You have to click Logout and then Yes and then reconnect.

But I don't think an FTP client is a priority ... a faster Network stack would be a lot more beneficial.

PS. But oh a port of WinSCP2 would probably be nicer icon_wink.gif
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> BeOS Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3