The BeOSJournal. Forum Index The BeOSJournal.
Discussing the news of the BeOS Community.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

network problems..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> BeOS Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casimir
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:44 am   Post subject: network problems.. Reply with quote   Next

Hmm. Well Since my beos drive died. I installed beos on my windows box (the one I am on right now) Problem is I can't get the internet to work in beos, other then that it is just fine.

I use a cable modem. and I put my esettings to DHCP. restart the network server.. and nothing.

I am pretty sure it is the driver for my ethernet card. This is what windows says I have
SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211TX)

Does anyone know of any drivers??

thanks
casimir
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

GAH!!!!!!

2.3.9 Why doesn't my SMC EZ ethernet card work?

For some reason, the SMC EZ card is included on the hardware compatibility list, but does not actually work in BeOS Release 5, Personal Edition. There is hope that it will work in the Professional Edition, as that has more drivers than the Personal Edition. There is no known driver for the SMC EZ card at the moment.

http://www.other-space.com/be/faq2.3.html

.... shiat. thing is I am using max V.2

Anyone know of a driver? plllllleeeeeeeeeeezzzzze
casimir
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

Ok.... update to my frikin problem.

I have tried.. not one... not.. two.... BUT THREE ETHERNET CARDS!!!!

1)SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211TX)
2)3Com 3C905TX-based Ethernet Adapter
3)SOHOware 10/100 PCI Network Adapter

None of them seem to work. And I can't find any drivers for any of them!

I am using max v2 ...

When I go into preferences
I dont put any info in the fields labled "dns server" "secondary dns server" "domain" etc. I didnt put this info in because my isp (shaw) uses dhcp and they dont have that information any more. And I picked DHCP under the settings. I then restart the network server. and try to use a browser. NOTHNG!!!

GAH I AM SO MAD!!!

can anyone help?
h_ank
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

I don't know why the cards might not be getting their addresses from the server, but have you tried getting the information from Windows and manually typing that in for BeOS?
casimir
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:26 am   Post subject: yes Reply with quote  Previous Next

Under windows. I have everything using DHCP. So there is nothing to copy.
feck

thanks though
casimir
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:53 am   Post subject: asfjkdsfk Reply with quote  Previous Next

..................grumble...............

I was on the phone with my isp for a long time. He says that they don't do any static ip's anymore, so I can't enter in the data for dns servers etc.

He did say though that he was getting ip requests from my computer, but then I wouldnt except the ip's. any pings they sent me would time out.

I don't know what to do. I am really frusterated!?!??!?!?!?!!?

I am going to have to go out tomorrow and buy a beos compaticble ethernet card. Then I will have FOUR CARDS!?!

Does anyone know what card is 100% known to be compatible with beos max v2.1??

thank you
Monni the Cat
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:11 am   Post subject: DHCP Reply with quote  Previous Next

I think the problem isn't the NIC, but the DHCP implementation in BeOS. It's not fool proof.

You can get detailed information on Windows by using either winipcfg or ipconfig depending on the version. If you have Windows NT/2K/XP you could try "ipconfig /all", winipcfg is a gui tool for older Windows's

I hope that the DHCP implementation is better in Zeta and/or OBOS.
casimir
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:51 am   Post subject: Thanks!! Reply with quote  Previous Next

Oh man!

It works. Thanks for the tip

The 2 pieces of information I was missing was in the printout from that command.

My ip lease ends every 3 days. so I will have to go into windows every three days and get the new info. But meh that is ok!!!
THANK YOU AGAIN MONNI!!

Hmmm..... beosjournal doesnt look the greatest from netpositive....
casimir
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:59 am   Post subject: gakc! Reply with quote  Previous Next

gah!

Hmm, well stumbled into a new problem... my sound blaster pci 16 doesnt work......... I have the drivers. It has an installation app...

It says to restart your computer to make it work.. so i do. and it didnt work. There is a setup app that asks for the irq IO ports and all this toerh stuff that I have noooooooo clue what it is. it has default values... so I suspect that if I got those values I could fix it... but where does one get these obscure values??
h_ank
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:19 pm10    Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous 

The settings are in the Device Manager. I'm not in Windows right now (it hates my machine) so I can't describe it perfectly.
Win 2000/XP: Right-click on My Computer and select Manage. Select Device Manager in this window and you should be able to find your sound card under Sound and Video, or some heading like that.
Under Win 9x: Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. There should be a Device Manager tab. Inside there you should find a section for Sound with your soundcard inside.

Opening and exploring the tabs should show you what it's current settings are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> BeOS Problems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum