The BeOSJournal. Forum Index The BeOSJournal.
Discussing the news of the BeOS Community.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with my modem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> BeOS Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SocialParasite
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:42 am   Post subject: Problems with my modem. Reply with quote   Next

I have an HSP56 Micromodem, pct789t-c chipset, which is supposed to be supported by BeOS. BeOS detects the modem and recognizes it as a Communication Device in the device listing under "PCI devices." It recognizes the IRQ for the modem, which is 10. It doesn't give the modem a memory address, though. I don't know if that's right/normal.

The problem is that the modem otherwise doesn't work. The modem initializes, I think, because the dial program tries to dial the number and I'm assuming that it doesn't just blindly try and dial without first initializing the modem. I can get the modem to work while using Linux because someone has written a driver for it that works.

I've been told that I should turn "pnp os" off in my BIOS settings, but I'm of the (un)fortunate enough to own a Compaq and have access to their wonderful(ly crappy) Compaq Corporation Setup Utility or whatever they call it. So I have no access to the BIOS. I would try flashing the BIOS and sticking a new one in there, but this is a Compaq-made motherboard so there's a very good chance that at the end of the day I'd have a very nice motherboard-looking doorstop if I tried to replace the BIOS.

So I've come to turn to you and ask if there's anything I can do short of replacing the modem (no $$$$) to remedy this situation.

Yeah, I know. Sounds pretty bleak. But I'm desperate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

I would head to www.wiki.bebits.com and look up modemtips in index.
http://wiki.bebits.com/page/MoDemTiP
You might have to get a file from dano and symlink and a directory to get the modem to work.

Every modern PCI slot card will show up as something. BeOS is just saying it is there. Not that it can work even if it has an IRQ.
-jefro who can't log in sometimes.
SocialParasite
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

Anonymous wrote:
I would head to www.wiki.bebits.com and look up modemtips in index.
http://wiki.bebits.com/page/MoDemTiP
You might have to get a file from dano and symlink and a directory to get the modem to work.

Every modern PCI slot card will show up as something. BeOS is just saying it is there. Not that it can work even if it has an IRQ.
-jefro who can't log in sometimes.

Any way I can get the stuff from Dano without actually downloading it? I don't have 10+ hours to spend downloading the whole thing.
theelf
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous 

So far as I know I was the first to get an hcf modem to work in BeOS using the trimodem driver from Dano. Your modem may or may not work.
If you need the trimodem driver I can send it along with instructions.
Below is the initial info from a post at Begroovy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The devices with following VendorID:CardID paars _probably_ supported by "trimodem" driver from BeOS 5.1 Exp/Dano: VendorID:14f1 - Conexant 14f1:1033 - HCF 56K Winmodem 14f1:1035 - PCI Modem Enumerator 14f1:1085 - CX11250 SmartHSF Mobile Modem host side device 14f1:1435 - HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp (w/Handset) Modem VendorID:127a - Rockwell Semiconductor Systems (Also Conexant) 127a:1033 - HCF 56k PCI Modem 127a:1035 - RH56D/SP-PCI HCF 56k PCI Speakerphone Modem 127a:1085 - Volcano HCF 56k PCI Modem 127a:1435 - ? VendorID:13e0 - GVC Corporation 13e0:0271 - ? To know VendorID and CardID of your modem - go to Devices applet and open Configuration dialog for that device (SerialPort or Communication device). Look on "Info" tab for CardID and VendorID. Some additional info you can found on BeGroovy's hardware forum: http://forums.begroovy.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3406.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> BeOS Problems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum