The BeOSJournal. Forum Index The BeOSJournal.
Discussing the news of the BeOS Community.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gobe Software Makes A Comeback.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will buying the Windows Gobe software encourage a BeOS release?
Yes
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
No
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Uncertain
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Bobthearch
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:31 pm   Post subject: Gobe Software Makes A Comeback. Reply with quote   Next

Quote:
To the BeOS Community at large. If there ever was a time to support a company that has long helped us all, now is it. This appears to be a miraclous opportunity to let them know by putting your money where your mouth is. Yes, it's for windows, but by helping Gobe Software achieve even limited success in this huge market, you'll help ensure there is more choice in the BeOS market.

First, I fail to see how purchasing something I don't need and won't use (Windows G.P.) will encourage the development of something that I might want. That's ridiculous - if they want my $$ they have to provide a product I want. Why reward them for abandoning BeOS? I'm not going to support them just for the sake of being friendly - they aren't family and I don't owe them anything!

Second, I don't understand their marketing strategy. I can't believe they think they can compete in the Windows market. Between the Microsoft Office line-up and the Freeware alternatives, they don't have a chance. For one thing their compatibility with MS Office files just isn't up to the task. On the contrary, they would have an office suite monopoly in the BeOS market. And to make mainstream Windows sales happen, people have to physically see their boxes on the store shelves - WalMart, CompUSA, etc.

Third, the price seems high. ($99 suggested retail, order now for $49) The MSOffice copy that came with the computer years ago still works just fine, so do the other full MS version copies my wife was handed at various conferences. OpenOffice, two different EasyOffices, ProSuite602, etc. are all Freeware. Commercial products include EasyOffice 2001 for $29, StarOffice $65, ExpertHomeOffice $19, ActivisionHomeOffice $17.50, MSWorks $40...

I do wish Gobe the best, and I think they have a fine product. I just don't agree with their current strategy, and I certainly don't agree with the BeOS Journal recommendation to buy.

Best Wishes to all of the BOJ readers,
-Bob
lichtgestalt
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous 

The only thing I don't agree on is the sentense:

Quote:
"Yes, it's for windows, but by helping Gobe Software achieve even limited success in this huge market, you'll help ensure there is more choice in the BeOS market."

Because I just don't see a direct connection. Gobe had to leave the BeOS market and buying Windows software won't change that. It can only have an indirect influence if Zeta/OBOS/etc. succeeds and it helped Gobe to stay somehow in business to make a comeback.
Other than that I don't have a problem TBJ reporting and encouraging to help old friends. Those who act indignant obviously are fairly new to the BeOS and don't know how much those guys have done for our platform in the past.
I mean, guys! They ain't Beatware....! icon_smile.gif

I bought Productive for Windows a long time back in hope I get cross-platform compatibility. Unfortunately, I think they use slightly different file formats. A nice BeOS Translator would be nice...
I haven't played with GP for some time so I'm fuzzy about the details...

Anyway, kudos Gobe team and good luck!

lichtgestalt[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum