Navigation Menu.
The BeOSJournal. Reporting the news of the BeOS Community.
  Discussing the news of the BeOS Community.
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    Site Statistics.Statistics    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin

SETI for BeOS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Team BeOS Printable version

Summary Rating For >> SETI for BeOS

Average Rating: 10.00 :: Min Rating: 10 :: Max Rating: 10 :: Number of Ratings: 1

You are not authorized to rate this topic
:: View detailed info
 View previous topic  Distributed.Net Tidbits.... Post ::     
Zaranthos
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

Location: Planet Earth, USA, MN, Detroit Lakes, small apartment, chair next to computers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: SETI for BeOS Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_1795.html

http://www.bebits.com/app/813

Make sure to add seti to your userbootscript so it starts up automatically.
# Userbootscript
cd /boot/home/setiathome/
setiathome -graphics &
cd /boot/home/
#end userbootscript
View users profile Send private message
phooey
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

/me wonders where the BeOS Seti crunchers hangout?

Think you have a fast computer? Then put it to the test at http://www.teambeos.com
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address
DaaT
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm one icon_smile.gif Usually have two machines on it, home and work, but currently my home system is dedicated to 17orBust.

DaaT
Beyond
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is one area of the team's endeavors we have not addressed lately. There is a TeamBeOS on YahooGroups, but it is a pretty slow message board, sometimes weeks go by without a message being posted.

I have it on good authority that a message has been sent to invite them to join us here on TBJ. Hopefully we will be joined by a few of the members of the Seti team soon.

I have been watching the Seti team for a couple of weeks now, though they have a steady out put (somewhere in the mid to upper 200's/day) the team is slowly losing ground to faster teams coming up from behind. It is a shame as I seem to remember the team being in the top 30/40 (?) at one point in time. Now we will be luck to hold a top 100 spot by the time Seti ends.

I have several Seti accounts (thought one had to have a different account for each machine at one time icon_rolleyes.gif ) so when I can find, remember the passwords will move them over to Team BeOS, should help the team to hold position for the short term and may even start doing a few units before it is over.
DaaT
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Will look forward to have you "fully cranking" for TeamBeOS' Seti effort. Just one question... "by the time Seti ends"? When will that be? icon_smile.gif

DaaT
Beyond
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Uh, I don't know but this will give you an idea ----> http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/setifuture.html
phooey
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beyond wrote:
I have it on good authority that a message has been sent to invite them to join us here on TBJ. Hopefully we will be joined by a few of the members of the Seti team soon.

I hope so too. I would be curious what the SETI fans think about the new project and the recent cheating discussions. I have a feeling that if the SETI team does clean house of all cheaters when the project is complete that TeamBeoS might just climb 10-20 spots in the rankings. Just a hunch icon_wink.gif

When I was crunching for TeamBeOS SETI in late 1999, the team was ranked 16th! Of course this was when BeOS users still thought we would get BONE and OpenGL....

Think you have a fast computer? Then put it to the test at http://www.teambeos.com
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address
rr_man
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The SETI@home project will quite sending out work_units end of March or April 2003. Note URL: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/setifuture.html for more information. This is the sourceforge site for the New Project BONIC.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/boinc. I have been crunching since March 2002 for Team BeOS and have complete a total of 4569 or 4570 SETI work_units.
Cliff Beach
View users profile Send private message
Beyond
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="phooey] I hope so too. I would be curious what the SETI fans think about the new project and the recent cheating discussions. I have a feeling that if the SETI team does clean house of all cheaters when the project is complete that TeamBeoS might just climb 10-20 spots in the rankings. Just a hunch icon_wink.gif [/quote]

I agree, we may see a move in the upward direction, if they Seti Admins have the time and inclination to purge thier accounts from the database. I will have to give them thier due though, they seem to be taking it serious for a change and removing accounts that are obviously "cheating" with outragous daily totals.

[quote="phooey] When I was crunching for TeamBeOS SETI in late 1999, the team was ranked 16th! Of course this was when BeOS users still thought we would get BONE and OpenGL.... [/quote]

I remember the team being up high in the ranks, sad really that people lost interest. I admit losing interest in Seti after I discovered Folding@Home and Genome@Home nd have not really done any workunits on a regular basis since that time. Now that we know it will end soon I have a goal I would like to reach before that time arrives. So will be adding it to my project list again.
Beyond
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

rr_man wrote:
I have been crunching since March 2002 for Team BeOS and have complete a total of 4569 or 4570 SETI work_units.
Cliff Beach

That is an amazing amount of work in a short period of time!

I am glad you took the time to visit us here on TBJ. I do hope more of the members of the Seti team will join us. We have alot of things planned to help increase the visiblity of the various BeOS teams, build a better more unified community for the team. I'm sure there are a lot of Seti members that could contribute a great deal information and expertise to our discussions on distributed computing, BeOS and the team.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Team BeOS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Email to a Friend.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum