Navigation Menu.
The BeOSJournal. Reporting the news of the BeOS Community.
  Discussing the news of the BeOS Community.
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    Site Statistics.Statistics    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin

Distributed Folding BeOS client
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Team BeOS Printable version

Summary Rating For >> Distributed Folding BeOS client

Average Rating: 0.00 :: Min Rating: 0 :: Max Rating: 0 :: Number of Ratings: 0

You are not authorized to rate this topic
:: View detailed info
 View previous topic  Eccp109 Solved! Team BeOS finishes in... Post :: Post [SOB] Can You say the number 3  View next topic  
scottmc
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Distributed Folding BeOS client Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anybody tried out the Distributed Folding client for BeOS that was released last week? I need to reinstall my BeOS partition as it's currently hosed. Chinasuar reported that it was one of the faster clients he's used, but that's the only report I've heard on it so far.
Link to it can be found on http://www.teambeos.com

-scottmc
View users profile Send private message
scottmc
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The most recent release of this client now gives the option to use upto 150Meg of Ram which in turn lets you double, that's right double the speed at which this puppy spits out work units! Use the -rt command line option in your foldit.bat script file. See their readme file for more details.
TeamBeOS got Dister and JPaul back on the team and have crusied up into the top 35!!
Screenshot running in BeOS:
http://www.teambeos.com/df/

-Scottmc
Tom_Artosorse
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Folding foldy foldness Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, I just installed the Distributed Folding Client and joined Team BeOS. I can't stop watching the pretty patterns whizzing round in the Terminal - it's rather cool and doesn't bother with a bunch of crap. C'mon Team BeOS! Take us to the top ...

;o)
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
scottmc
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome to the team! We can always use a few more crunchers. I'm really surprised there's not more BeOS users on the DF team. When I started TeamBeOS.com the most common question was WHEN will "folding@home be ported?" They said that if it was they'd join right up. Well the F@H people keep putting off the BeOS port for one reason or another and then I saw this DF project. So I emailed them and a few weeks later we get a BeOS cliet! icon_biggrin.gif
But in the weeks since the team has only picked up one or two members per week. icon_sad.gif Maybe it'll pick up soon. Our Eccp109 team has 50+ members on it now. Maybe it's because they offer a $1000 prise? I agree the DF client is more fun to watch, all the little ASCII art going on drawing the proteuin being folded.

Oh be careful with the 150meg ram option and Mozilla, its kicked me into KDL a few times, not sure if it the exact cause but i think it's the most likely cause.

Add these three lines to your UserBootscript, where the cd command points to where you installed Distributed Folding:

cd /boot/home/distribfold
rm foldtrajlite.lock
Terminal -t "Distributed Folding" foldit

This will start up DF automatically on boot up.

-scottmc
scottmc
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This team is really moving up the last few days.
http://statsman.org/distfoldingstats/html/301.html
At the current rate we should move from the current 43rd place all the way up to 37th by the first week of October 2002. Way to go!
icon_smile.gif

-scottmc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Moving up again! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now in 34th and moving up nicely. Seems a few of the people who were on the Eccp109 project are migrating over to this one. We've got close to 40 people on the team with over half of them active in the past week!
Keep up the good work.

-Scottmc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Scottmc, I know you are always putting up things to do with the extra cpu time. I have had my beos machine down while working on a new dual box.
Seems if you have BeOS ya gotta have a dually. Hey, Beos worked great in 10 minutes. Just taking me another week to get NT to work.

Anyway, thanks for all the info and I will get that new box working on one of your suggestions soon as I can.

-jefro
scottmc
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: What was the High Flying Object? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd like to someday build a dual proc machine but so far haven't.

That high flying object was Team BeOS getting ready to pass Project Blue Book! We should have no trouble moving into the top 30 in the next few weeks and into the top 20 overall within the next 6 months, and that's with no new crunchers! If we were to pick up more people and/or faster PCs who knows?

-Scottmc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For those interested in numbers icon_smile.gif Dyyryath of Free DC team has built a new stats page for Distributed Folding with teams and individual statistics http://stats.zerothelement.com/cgi-bin/distributed-folding/render-users.pl?order=TeamRank&shading=YES&team=301&entries=50&color=YES[/url]
Beyond
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

27 Team ARP
28 HardOCP
29 Team BeOS
30 Belgium
31 UK
32 Canada
33 Project Blue Book
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Team BeOS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Email to a Friend.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum