The BeOSJournal. Forum Index The BeOSJournal.
Discussing the news of the BeOS Community.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Do You Want Now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Technix
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:39 am   Post subject: What Do You Want Now? Reply with quote   Next

I've been hearing growing dissent in the community from various members, and thought I would head it off by asking a simple question.

What do you want now?

Please post your questions, comments, and concerns in the forum, so that developers who lack motivation, or are looking for something easy to do can see what we as a community need right now.

It can be a small application, an add-on, or just a bug fix. It's up to you to voice what it is that should be done, now.

Thanks, and peace.
Konrad
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:03 pm   Post subject: I would like to have: Reply with quote  Previous Next

1. Developers list (projects, so we dont do duplicate work)

2. Vote for you wanted apps, maybe a fund for the developers.
"like DirectConnect(DC++), "DivFix", "CubaseClone like app"

3. Contests, like redesign Tracker/Deskbar, or whatever.. Maybe a GonxEdit =)
That could make inspiration for Developers, who knows, maybe there will be new Tracker someday that lookes like your picture.

4. A Hardware and other gifts collection (I have some hardware that would help someone in KernelKit maybe) or driversmakers.

5. Write to you locale magazines, and tell them to write about BeOS/OpenBeOS or what flavour it now might come back in. Also offer them that YOU can write the articles. The carrot would be if you can scan that article later, no matter language, its always nice to see thoose 4 chars togheter B e O S

6. Start sending feedback to developers, Alpha/Beta test their applications, send bugreports, If you are a designer offer them your skitches.

7. Be nice to eachother, try to help when you have the knowledge, dont just say "Look in the BeBook", or check Betips.net, A freindly tone from a real users is always nicier.

/Konrad
Q
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:23 pm   Post subject: Hmm, Reply with quote  Previous Next

As a developer:

I'd really like to the OpenTracker-developers to join effort and have the code available somewhere. Right now all I see / hear is about different OpenTracker-builds which don't have code available. It really makes me shy away from the OpenTracker project altogether. If it's not just vaporware I'll just waste my time duplicating effort if I work on the original Open Tracker. Maybe they could have an Open Tracker Hacker's network or something...

Otherwise all I need is more spare time to work on BeOS-projects.
DaaT
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

mmmmmm...

Welcome Q icon_smile.gif

I'm sure what you _really_ mean is OpenBeOS right? OpenBeOS and BlueEyedOS, also Zeta maybe, and not OpenTracker icon_smile.gif OT is common amongst all of them and can be found at http://opentracker.sf.net

As for the OBOS projects... well.. just go with the one you want, if you want to contribute icon_smile.gif None is vapourware.
Q
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

No, I mean OpenTracker. There are lots of inofficial builds that won't get submitted to the cvs without some work. Unfortunatly people keeps showing their stuff of without being able to fix it for release or get it submitted for for the official cvs. They are really defensive about their code too.

It has a negative effect, on me at least, since I don't want to do duplicated work and it makes me shy away from OpenTracker development.

That is not the case with the different OBOS projects out there they welcome developers and it's quite easy to help the projects out. I plan to do some work on OpenBeOS btw when I get some real life issues cleared out. (Life is hard on developers atm where I am icon_sad.gif )
Franxico

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:53 pm   Post subject: ICQ Reply with quote  Previous Next

I need just a good and stable icq client.

It can be like Gim-Icq, but with working file transfer at least. It would be nice catch the user contact list from the server too.

Thanx icon_smile.gif

François Vincent
www.bug-br.org.br
DaaT
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

Q... mmmm.. so you mean OT...

Well, then i advise you to talk with Axel Dorfler, nick axeld either on BeShare or IRC. He's the maintainer.

Good luck,
DaaT
mikesum32
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:36 pm   Post subject: What I want.... Reply with quote  Previous Next

I know what I want. I want 3 things.

1.An improved driver for the Radeon Video-In.

2. A Radeon driver that doesn't crash when changing resolutions.

3. An easier way to convert video files, especially to divx.
Cloveious
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:05 pm   Post subject: What I want Reply with quote  Previous Next

I have a few things i want to see.

1. Up to date Quicktime Codec.
2. FlashPlayer 6 would be killer.
3. the ability to switch printers without having to change the default

4. I would like to see Everyone put effort behind one project, personally it ticks me off seeing lots of different BeOS clones pop up,

Its not very united. it makes the community weak, and things more complicated. Such a small userbase can not support so many distros. I personally do not want to see BeOS fragment like linux, and i fear thats what its doing.
laplace
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:03 pm10    Post subject: What I want Reply with quote  Previous 

3. the ability to switch printers without having to change the default

For the OBOS print_server this feature is planned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum