The BeOSJournal. Forum Index The BeOSJournal.
Discussing the news of the BeOS Community.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seventeen Or Bust
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beyond
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:38 pm   Post subject: Seventeen Or Bust Reply with quote   Next

First off, Thanks to "the powers that Be" icon_cool.gif for the mention on the front page, hopefully it will gain us a few members nd perk a little more interest within the community for distributed computing.

There is more information on this project and related links on http://www.teambeos.com/

The projects home page can be found here http://www.seventeenorbust.com/

The project has a BeOS client, the newest version http://www.seventeenorbust.com/download/ is reported to be as fast or faster than the Win/Linux clients.
Technix
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:11 pm   Post subject: No problemo Reply with quote  Previous Next

It's always a pleasure to get people motivated and excited about new projects.

The more things that a BeOS User can get involved in means the more opportunities s/he will have help promote our beloved OS, and show their friends the power of Be.

I have one small request.

I would like to post on our front page the daily stats for each project that Team BeOS participates in. Can you figure out a way, or provide me information on what backend resources are available to tap into so I can make an automated gathering system for the stats?

Please let me know in private, via and I'll discuss it in length what I plan on doing with TBJ.

Thanx, and keep up the fantastic work as head of TeamBeOS.com !
Beyond
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

Technix, I would appreciate any help you are willing to offer to increase the awareness of BeOS and distributed computing in general. I'm glad to hear there are people around thinking along the same lines as myself.

BTW Scottmc is the leader of TeamBeOS.com, I'm but a grunt working in the trenches. icon_smile.gif I have been posting across several BB's to try and get the participation in the various projects up, but really have no authority to speak for the team as a whole.

I'm very interested in your plns for TBJ, you have very good vehicule available to help get the word out to the masses. I have been working on a "team page" for SOB, but is still in the early stages. Temporary home until I can get it completed and on the server. http://24.174.34.241:8181/Team%20BeOS.htm
SurGreen
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:16 pm   Post subject: BeOS client works fine .. except............................ Reply with quote  Previous Next

...I cannot set the priority to anything other than Normal Priority . I have tried Process Controller as suggested , but to no avail .. icon_sad.gif

Any suggestions?? icon_question.gif
misza
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:49 pm   Post subject: Re: BeOS client works fine .. except........................ Reply with quote  Previous Next

SurGreen wrote:
...I cannot set the priority to anything other than Normal Priority . I have tried Process Controller as suggested , but to no avail .. icon_sad.gif

Any suggestions?? icon_question.gif

My Suggestions..A re-write of the client to work with prioritised threads properly?
Otherwise process controller works for me

BeOS!
The SMP OS
Beyond
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

If I'm not mistaken this is one of the issues Louie will be looking at this coming week. So far he has been good at responding to any client issues in a timely manner. I think Chinasaur has some issues with his dually that Louie plans to address this coming week too.
Racer_X

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

I use "renice" to change the priority and i have put sb in my UserBootScript so it starts when i start my computer.

sample from the bootscript:

cd /boot/home/sb/
./sb sclient.conf &
renice -b 1 -f sb
cd /boot/home/

cd /boot/home/sb2/
./sb2 sclient2.conf &
renice -b 1 -f sb2
cd /boot/home/

I got renice from the eccp client (the one with the chip as an icon)
and i just changed the bootscript from eccp to my sb client
And i run two sb clients:) Go dual!!!!

Racer__X
-Long time user of BeOS, first time poster
Beyond
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

Thanks for that RacerX, looks to be a really nice "tip".
SurGreen
Pencil Pusher
Pencil Pusher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:08 am   Post subject: Thanks Racer_X ... Reply with quote  Previous Next

..but my priority STILL stays at normal!! :/

Maybe its' 'cos I am on an HP...................

GREAT tip though icon_smile.gif
Beyond
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:07 pm10    Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous 

I ripped this from a post by Reddog on thegreenboard, might be what you are loking for SurGreen;

mmu-man just posted a message with a way to set the priority in a UserBootscript:

In your UserBootscript, do this:

/path/to/app1 &
/bin/prio $! 1
/path/to/app2 &
/bin/prio $! 1
... and so on

(1 is the idle priority here)

I have just about finalized the layout and look of the webpage for SOB project but I am experiencing ISP problems (have been down alot the last 4-5 days) so if you can get to the page I would like suggestios or comments.

http://24.174.34.241:8181/Team%20BeOS.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Team BeOS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum