The BeOSJournal. Forum Index The BeOSJournal.
Discussing the news of the BeOS Community.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Net++... no, not a typo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaaT
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:43 am   Post subject: Net++... no, not a typo Reply with quote   Next

Well, this is something many of us thought about...

And now it's happening... there's a new browser on the town, and it's name is Net++.
What is it you say? It's a browser similar to Net+, and aims at the same speed of use, but with the Gecko engine. Yes, that's right, Mozila's engine.

Developing this small (as in lightweight) wonder is a small group of BeOS enthusiasts, including a few ex-Be, Inc engineers.

Here's a first screenshot, with just the interface, still without the Gecko engine.

http://www.bug-br.org.br/img/net++.png

I'm sure many agree... i can't wait to try this one out!

DaaT
Neil
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

This is fantastic news! It's very hard to convince anyone to use an alternative OS if it doesn't have a decent browser. Net+ is a slick and solid browser but crippled by its lack of modern features... if Net++ addresses that problem it'll be worth its weight in gold.
misza

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:11 pm   Post subject: WOW!!!!! Reply with quote  Previous Next

This looks amazing icon_eek.gif
(if a little uncolourful icon_wink.gif )
I can't wait to try this out.
Does anyone know the status on this project?
Like how far through they are, etc?
It's very exciting, just imaging opening up a browser that has the functionality of mozilla in the time it takes to open net+ (basically none) and still feel zippy, this is amazing!
Thanks to beosjournal for the scoop!
I want more info, is there a website?

Great work here Chris, just making my presence here known icon_smile.gif
/me waves everyone icon_biggrin.gif
misza

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:38 pm   Post subject: ..one last thing I forgot Reply with quote  Previous Next

Thanks to DaaT for this STUPENDOUS piece of tantalising news, praises ad salutations my friend icon_biggrin.gif
Eugenia
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:34 pm   Post subject: Dissapointed Reply with quote  Previous Next

I am very dissapointed that this piece of news was posted here, because the screenshot was only meant for a closed mailing list and not for the public.

Stop having your hopes so up.
This browser, does not display *anything*. It is an empty shell and nothing more, at the moment. It is very dissapointing seeing BeOSJournal and even Bruno for copying the image to his servers, and having everyone jumping up and down like monkeys.

As I said, that application does nothing as of now. It is just an empty shell, an application with an empty "view". There is not work been done yet to integrate Mozilla or whatever else in it.

I first saw Net++ at the developer's house, a year ago. Daniel does not have the time to work on it a lot, therefore, a year later, the app is pretty much at the same stage as it was back then.

So, before you see a real beta, or at least a screenshot that shows Net++ being able to render something, go back to your holes. Excitement is good, but not when it is artificially created by webmasters or BeOS zealots. No offense is meant btw.
DaaT
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

First of all, welcome Eugenia, nice to see you in here.

Regarding the news about Net++. I saw it posted over at Bug-BR's site, and, naturally (at least to me), it seemed news worthy .

You are right, excitment is good, and these are exciting times for us, ironic since the company behind the OS (and pretty much the OS itself) is dead. So, since it seemed like good news, why not add a little something to the excitment? People need it...

As i said in the beginning, it was posted somewhere else, and i decided to "mirror" it somehow, to english reading surfers.

DaaT
BGA
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:51 pm   Post subject: Interesting. Reply with quote  Previous Next

Yes, I did post the original information (at the BUG-Br site), but while the only thing I mentioned is that it was being worked on, you mentioned a private list and Daniel. If any harm has been done it was now after your post.

-Bruno
Eugenia
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

Oh, yeah, right! Let's now blame each other Bruno.

I feel bad about this, because *I* was the one who asked Daniel on Friday evening to upload that screenshot and email the list. And two days later, you had everything out in the open. Well my friend, I feel bad, because I feel responsible about asking Daniel about it. I should have never asked him to email the list about his application in the first place. THAT was my error. Not the mention of the list or his name.
BGA
NewBe
NewBe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote  Previous Next

I am not playing a "blame game" here or something like that. All I am doing is pointing out that the information I posted was completelly harmless. Also, as you probably saw, I did say to Daniel that it was me who posted that so you should not worry about that.

-Bruno
Technix
Junior Scribe
Junior Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:59 pm10    Post subject: Author Reply with quote  Previous 

Perhaps the original author of the project would like to speak out if he has any problems with this issue.

Eugenia, would you like to ask Daniel himself if he has problems with this being out in the open? There is no reason for you personally to feel guilty about this, since it's now out of your hands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The BeOSJournal. Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum